Beef Soup Stock
1. Oven roast beef bones in a pan for approx. 1 hr. at 350° - 500° F until bones are "browned".
2. Transfer bones to pot and fill to brimming with cold water.
3. Prepare "mire poix" (25% chopped carrots, 25% chopped celery, and 50% chopped onions). Sprinkle mire poix into the pot enough to cover the water surface.
4. Bring pot to a simmer for 15 minutes. Skim any grease/tallow that will have formed from the surface with a ladle 2-3 times.
5. Add 1 bay leaf, 4-5 peppercorns, and a pinch of dries thyme to the pot.
6. Low simmer contents for 8-12 hours. Do not cover the pot or stir.
7. Stock and be used in cooking or reconstituted with additional ingredients for soup.
From L'Etoile Restaurant, Madison, WI.